when i was in the 5th grade i ate honey suckle off the fence at the far end of the soccer field. there was usually a small pack of us, sucking the nectar(?) from these plants. until one day we were caught. a teacher, panicked, ran to us. she told us to never ever ever eat from there. the plants are poisoned. shocked! we were all going to die! fear, a poison worse than the ingested pesticide, pulsed through our veins. one girl who i spent time with there passed away. not from the poison honey suckle. she rode horses and was in an accident.
her name was macy and she was skinny. skinny and blonde and pale with freckles. she was a vegetarian. the first vegetarian i knew. her parents were not. when she was 10, she made the conscious decision to stop eating meat and i, a naive human, never understood how she could question such a simple thing as food. we became close during one field trip to the beach. we shared a bunk bed and we brushed our hair together. on the ride home we decided to be seat buddies and we talked the whole way. after the 5th grade we went to different schools and it never really crossed our minds that we could stay in touch. so we didn’t. she died a few years ago, falling from her horse. brain damage. internal bleeding. i haven’t thought of her until today. she had a younger sister who is probably 18 or so and i wonder how she is. macy, you were so small. i just felt like writing this, i don’t why i thought of you.